Friday, August 5, 2011

Sometimes Autism just plain sucks!

So I have not posted anything in awhile. I usually wait for something cute, funny, or inspiring to happen and the words kinda roll out onto the page for me.

Things have been difficult for me lately. Autism has a way of zapping your energy. Being creative when you feel depleted is not easy. So, how about a dose of autism reality.

Autism sucks because:

It affects every member of your family.

It can sometimes severely limit your ability to be in the community with your child.

When you are out in your community, you can feel enormous pressure to keep your child from acting out.

It is physically, mentally and financially draining.

It robs your child or children, of the ability to express how they experience the world, how they feel, and what they know.

It leaves you, the parent, forever wondering what could have been, should have been, and what will be.

It forces you to watch sometimes helplessly, as your child suffers through mental and physical anguish.


I have incredible hope for my children's future. I will do everything within my power to see that they continue to make progress. But man am I tired. So tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment